"This truly is excellent line, but can you use it for drop shot fishing?"
Arguably, you can use whatever type of fishing line you want to drop shot for perch, however if you use monofilament line you will struggle and your catch rate will suffer as a result.
Monofilament line has a lot of stretch, far more than you’d ever imagine. I never realised just how elastic monofilament line had, and just how much it stretched until I tried braid for the first time. The difference between using braid and using monofilament line is immense, and the monofilament line feels like an elastic band in comparison.
Drop shot fishing relies on gently moving the rod to make the lure ‘dance’ and attract the perch. If you use monofilament line you need to move the rod a lot more and more violently than you do than with braid to get the lure moving. Having to move the rod further and with more force makes drop shotting very awkward.
Because monofilament stretches it is far less sensitive. Drop shot fishing relies on being able to feel the weight, feel the lure and most importantly, feel the perch take the lure. Monofilament line is too elastic for this, and using monofilament line you don’t feel the weight moving along the river bed, you don’t feel the lure moving and, unless you get a violent bite, you don’t feel the perch taking the lure.
“Can you use monofilament line for drop shotting for perch?” Of course you can. “Will you catch using monofilament line drop shotting for perch?” That is debatable, and even if you do you won’t catch as many as you would if you use braided mainline.
Essential drop shot fishing gear
You don't need loads of fishing tackle for drop shotting, however there are a few essential bits and pieces you need to really experience what it's like to drop shot. Fortunately, drop shot fishing tackle isn't expensive so you don't have to shell out loads of cash to have a go at it. Below is a quick clip listing the only fishing gear you need to drop shot for perch.
I bought all of my drop shot fishing gear in the above clip from Amazon, and below is a carousel of all the fishing products. The carousel contains affiliate links and if you follow any of the links and make a purchase (you won't pay any extra doing this) I may get a small commission.
Below are some perch fishing links you may find interesting and/or useful:-
- Bait casting for perch on the Norfolk Broads. If you want to catch big perch from the Norfolk Broads bait casting for them is a great way to go about it, and this post explores and explains how to do it.
- What bait to catch perch from the Norfolk Broads? If you want to maximise your chances of catching perch from the Norfolk Broads you need to make sure you are using the right bait. This post explores the best perch fishing baits out there that will help you increase your catch rate.
- Float fishing for perch on the Norfolk Broads. Float fishing is a great method for catching perch on the Norfolk Broads, and this post explores and explains the best way to do this.
- The best perch spinning rod. Arguably, you can use any fishing rod to spin or lure fish for perch. If, however, you want to get the most out of lure fishing for perch you need to use the ‘right’ fishing rod, as explored in this post.
- My drop shot set up for perch. Fishing an ultra-light lure using the drop shot technique has become my favourite method to fish for perch in the Norfolk Broads, and it has been very successful. In this post I list the fishing gear I actually use drop shot fishing on the Norfolk Broads.
- Jigging or drop shotting for perch on the Norfolk Broads? Using lures is a great way to catch perch from the Norfolk Broads, but is the drop shot method or jigging method the best? This post explores this.
- Dead baiting for perch on the Norfolk Broads. A killer way to catch large perch from the Norfolk Broads is to use dead bait. Most anglers appreciate dead bait is a great way to catch pike, but not many realise dead bait is also a great way to hook larger perch (Perhaps I shouldn’t mention this!). This article explores how to use dead bait to catch perch.
Fishing video playlists.......